Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Rules or No Rules.. That is the Question!!!

The concept of "rules" for literature has really been driving me crazy. Tuesday in class we all seemed so close to being "right" about how there shouldn't be rules, then we'd slip right back and subconsciously throw in some "rule" without even knowing it! Maybe it's because we're all so used to having sets of rules for almost everything we do. I don't know when or if I'll be able to wrap my mind around having or not having rules for literature. I guess I just feel like it's going to be an endless cycle of wondering about what's right or wrong about the rules and who decides that. I understand where Kevin was coming from when he said something about "we" will decide what literature is for future generations, but Rachel also had a good point, who makes up the "we" that everyone keeps referring to?
I feel that there can't be a Set of rules for everyone to follow for defining literature because, like I said in class, you can't please everyone because we all have such different opinions about everything!Trying to define literature for everyone seems almost impossible to me. But then again, I still believe everyone defines if for themselves, so what's the big deal? This is just a vicious cycle...

No comments:

Post a Comment