Monday, February 16, 2009

My thoughts on Blue Velvet

First of all, sorry this is about an hour and a half late, but I got stuck at work later than I thought I would. I tutor middle/high school kids, so when someone comes in desperate for help it's pretty hard to say no. But anyway, after doing a quick read through of what my fellow classmates thought about Blue Velvet, I'm actually kind of surprised. I really, really, really didn't like Funny Games, and it basically shocked me that so many other people did. Now I'm shocked that it doesn't seem like many people liked Blue Velvet. Although I had never seen the movie before, I am pretty familiar with Davin Lynch. My dad actually loves BV, and he has been trying to get me to watch it for a while. Also, my mom and sister are both big fans of the old show Twin Peaks. Lastly, I went to the Austin premiere of Lynch's movie Inland Empire, which was one of the strangest things I've ever seen. I am familiar with Lynch, but I'm not necessarily a fan. I was expecting BV to be something just as weird as Inland Empire, but it really wasn't. I found it to be pretty entertaining. The style was unusual yet interesting, and the acting was not over- or underdone. I thought the plot line was relatively easy to follow. Overall, it was strange but still likable. I'm interested to hear what other people have to say tomorrow, bright and early.

No comments:

Post a Comment