Wednesday, February 18, 2009

creepy crawlers

I like the insight on the insects that everyone has been talking about. I didn't pick up on this when I watched the movie.
I also think it's interesting what Miku said about the shots, how nothing was shot up close until the uncomfortably close up shot of the beetles in the grass.
I thought the director did well with the subtleties in the movie. Like how the picturesque mother sipping iced tea and watching tv was actually watching some sort of murder-mystery movie; they specifically showed this twice, the first time was a hand holding a gun and the second time was a shot of someone's legs quietly sneaking up stairs. I think this also shows that there is something under the surface of this quaint town and that the townspeople are completely unaware of it.
Also just a random comment: The beginning scene where the father was hosing his garden and then fell over with a heart attack(?) and then the little kid ran off the screen (presumably into the house knowing something was wrong) completely reminded me of the Godfather. Don Vito Corleone is in his vegetable garden with a little kid when he falls over ill and the little kid runs into the house. I don't know if this was done on purpose or if it was just some random thing I picked up on. But that's what it reminded me of and it made me think that this movie was not going to be as quaint and calm as the opening scene made it out to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment