Wednesday, February 11, 2009

RE: Why I hated Funny Games

I just watched this movie with Brandi and I kind of have the same feelings she just blogged about.
I also disagree with Meredith on some points. I think the characters were consistent, and the storyline was solid and believeable (of course not the whole rewinding thing). It was a pretty disturbing movie. Very different. There was no soundtrack, the camera angles were believable. I thought it was made in a way to make it really seem like it was really happening and we were right there. I love all the long continuous shots. I think the actors did very well, I thought their performance was true to human emotions and reactions. I also like the rewind and talking directly to the camera. It draws you in and just upsets you even more. Like Brandi said, when you finally think Ann has hope of escaping by killing Peter, it is totally erased by just rewinding. It's like they're playing a game with us (the audience) as well.
I'm really not sure what this movie was trying to say or what statement they were making. I'm pretty sure they summed it up in the conversation about fiction and reality in the boat but it all kind of went over my head. I'd have to watch that part again very closesly so I'm looking forward to a class discussion on this. I kind of appreciate the movie in how unconventional and different it was. It's definitely not your average horror movie. I'm not saying I liked it, but I'm not saying I didn't like it. I liked the idea of it. But still.. so.. disturbing...
I know this whole blog was kind of pointless but these are my opinions on the top layer of the movie. Maybe when I figure it out a little better in class or something, I'll go more in depth.

No comments:

Post a Comment