Monday, February 2, 2009

Re: Page 13

I heard about that thing with Joshua Bell! I watched a video; it was really quite incredible. I definitely would have stopped. That's not saying much, though. I stop if a drag rat is playing a harmonica even decently.

Also, I think the deal with not all great poems getting their poets famous sort of has to do with establishing yourself before you can break the rules and also establishing yourself in other areas. Picasso's cubism was only accepted because he actually can paint very well and did that first. On the other hand, Ralph Waldo Emerson really can't write poetry (Straight from the mouth of my American Lit teacher [although I can't disagree]), but was generally a genius in other areas, so his poems get studied and read quite frequently.

No comments:

Post a Comment