Monday, April 6, 2009

Re: "hovering above"

I also really liked "Good Old Neon" and was also really baffled by the last paragraph. It really interested me how the narrator ended the story in a footnote. I'm not sure how you are supposed to read it, but I skip the footnotes and then go back to them after I've finished the paragraph. So, I read the story to the end, thought "what the hell" and then read the footnote with "the end" concluding. Again I thought "what the hell". I'm was really thinking the whole time, about how the narrator is speaking of killing himself, and the author, David Foster Wallace, did end his own life. This makes it harder for the reader (at least me) to separate the speaker from the author. I realize we aren't supposed to assume they are one and the same, but isn't it hard not to wonder in this case? Either way, I loved this story so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment