Monday, April 13, 2009

not the wire

I meant to post this a while ago but life got in the way, and plus I'm too confused/unsure on "The Wire" as of yet to have anything of merit to say.

During one of his Lolita lectures Krzys mentioned how Humbert speaks directly to the reader more than 30 times or something. It's weird because even though I read the book and physically read all the parts where Humbert talks directly to the reader, it took Krzys's comment for the lightbulb to go off in my head. When he mentioned this I immediately thought of how "Funny Games," "Blue Velvet," "Reading Lolita in Tehran," and most of our other material had all done the same thing by addressing the reader directly. Well, I guess in Blue Velvet it was more indirect, but still, author-to-reader communication nonetheless.

Up until that point I had only connected the imagination dots, but now we have two common themes among the literature we are studying in this course. I'm sure everyone else had already made that connection by the time Krzys brought it up, but I felt goofily accomplished when  when I realized it. Like maybe I was getting it for once. This kind of feels like more of a super-long LR observation rather than a blog post, but anyway, I look forward to finding out if The Wire and the two albums we have will also share these themes with the rest of the works.

No comments:

Post a Comment