Monday, April 6, 2009

Poe and Lolita

So I didn't really know what to write about today so I did some googling of Lolita. I remembered when we discussed the first paragraph of the novel. Krzys briefly mentioned that Humbert's Annabel was a reference to Edgar Allan Poe's Annabel Lee, and I vaugely remember reading the poem in high school, but I didn't know how much of the story of Annabel couls be seen in the poem. Here are the first two stanzas:

It was many and many a year ago,
In a kingdom by the sea,
That a maiden there lived whom you may know
By the name of Annabel Lee;
And this maiden she lived with no other thought
Than to love and be loved by me.

I was a child and she was a child,
In this kingdom by the sea:
But we loved with a love that was more than love -
I and my Annabel Lee;
With a love that the winged seraphs of heaven
Coveted her and me.

The poem goes on to explain that the angels were jealous of the narrator and Annabel, and they took her away and she died. "The princedom by the sea" is taken from the "kingdom" which is guess is a down grade. And Humbert's tryst with his Annabel is all too similar to Poe's. Humbert even says, "exibit one is what the seraphs, the misinformed, simple, noble-winged seraphs, envied."
I also found out that Poe wrote a short story called "William Wilson" in which the narrator tells us that he is adopting this almost-double name to tell his story, in which he is always up against his enemy, also with the name he adopted, to whom you could compare Clare Quilty to Humber Humbert.
Just thought those insights with poe were interesting. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment