Monday, April 27, 2009

Little piece of my mind

My favorite song so far, has to be Bob Dylan’s Ballad Of a thin Man. I am not aware what so ever what the real meaning of this song is but it makes you feel. There are times in life when you just have no clue what is going on. It is as if the world is spinning while you’re standing still. There is just this sense of detachment that you can’t seem to do anything about. Most of Dylan’s song I feel have this deep meaning, that allows you to connect with them emotionally weather you understand what is being said or not.
Dylan and the N.W.A. seemed to come from two different angles. Dylan’s songs connected with the human emotion, but its approach was mellow, and I am not sure if it was because of the tone, or the softer language, Dylan made you think, but it did not hurt. N.W.A’s F. The Police for me was the strongest piece in the album. This is what they are going through, but they expressed so much anger through their language and their beats, that I was hard to listen to.
The use of language in Straight outta Compton reminds me of the scene in the Wire were McNulty and Bunk figure out the crime scene just using the F word. It has always been hard for me to see why curse words are necessary. I have always heard that when people curse words, it is because they do not have a good enough vocabulary to express themselves better, but the Wire made me think twice. What if those curse words were precise enough to get the message across? Imagine “F. the police” being played on the radio with all the curse words bleeped out. In this form, I think we can all agree the song would be destroyed. Never the less, I would like to know what exactly makes curse words wrong, and if there are times when their use is acceptable, or if their use will always be a scandalous move.

No comments:

Post a Comment