Monday, March 23, 2009

Re: Re: Healthy Sexuality and a little more

I also agree with Rachael and Miku's thoughts about Lolita. I was expecting something disturbing but I somehow got something amazing and awesome to read. I especially like what Miku said: "Making something good seem beautiful is easy; turning an ugly truth into a beautiful work of art is an amazing accomplishment." How very true. 

Also, while reading Lolita I was reminded of that article we read that discussed how authors could make their works wonderful but adding alliteration and assonance and such. At the time of reading that article I thought that was a bunch of crap, mainly because literary devices like that often make a work seem silly or unrealistic. Lolita is the first thing I have read that is absolutely beautiful and doesn't sound phony. For example, the very first paragraph is full of alliteration:

"Lolita, light of my life, fire of my loins. My sin, my soul. Lo-lee-ta: the tip of the tongue taking a trip of three steps down the palate to tap, at three, on the teeth. Lo. Lee. Ta."

I also really enjoy how he refers to the gun as "chum" and all the clever plays-on-words that he uses with names and places. 

Nabokov is simply a genius. 

No comments:

Post a Comment