Monday, March 23, 2009

Re: Healthy Sexuality

I completely share Rachael’s thoughts about Lolita. When I found out the subject of Lolita, I thought there was no way I would like it. I mean, the continuous rape of a child? That’s horrible, disgusting, and one of the darkest aspects of our society. However, as soon as I started reading I was immediately entranced by it. I expected Lolita to contain graphic description of sexual acts, but instead even the most revolting scenes were described in such a beautiful, passionate way that I began to see things through Humbert’s eyes. I almost forgot that she was a child and that he was an adult abusing her. Sometimes I felt like I was reading a love story, not the story of a pedophile. I dove into Lolita expecting to despise it, but I thoroughly enjoyed reading it. Making something good seem beautiful is easy; turning an ugly truth into a beautiful work of art is an amazing accomplishment. Kudos to Nabokov!

No comments:

Post a Comment