Monday, March 2, 2009

Nabokov's Impact

So far, I have enjoyed getting into Reading Lolita in Tehran. I don’t think I would have chosen to read this book on my own, but none the less, it is very informative and thought provoking. The impact that Nabokov had on the lives of the eight women is astounding. Without ever meeting or even being aware of their existence, Nabokov has changed the way these women view not only their own lives, but their world. As dramatic as it may sound, the seven students and author are risking their lives every Thursday morning in order to discuss banned Western literature. The fact that an author can record his thought, have millions read his inner-most thoughts, and then inadvertently play a huge role in the lives of his readers is pretty awesome. For Nabokov, this book is pretty much the best record of reader appreciation and ego boost available. It takes an immensely talented writer to have impacted so many readers that they risk everything they have in order to continue reading his works.

I do wish that we read Lolita before we read Reading Lolita in Tehran. I haven’t read Lolita, so Reading Lolita in Tehran gives away some of the novel’s plot. However, on the positive side, Azar Nafisi’s memoir does make me want to read Lolita quite soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment