Monday, May 4, 2009

Restless Farewell

Fifteen years is a long time from now. I'll be 35 years old, for God's sake, that's borderline on my "die young and leave a pretty corpse" plan, but for the purposes of this blog I'll imagine that I'm still around.

After reading what we were supposed to write about I Lolita immediately came to mind. I learned all kinds of things about language, about the idea of literature, and about how to go about interpreting something as complicated as good literature, that's it would be difficult for me to not have learned anything from our Lolita discussions. I'm sure whenever I see or read anything by Nabokov (is anyone taking that class next semester, by the way? It's a REE class, which is really random) I'll think of Banned Books and Novel Ideas and I'll have to smile.

The Wire will stick with me for a more literal reason. The length of the episodes combined with the fact that there are 4 more seasons and my short attention span seem to imply that I may very well not have finished the Wire in 15 years. I kid, I kid. Seriously though, I think that The Wire will serve as something to compare to any future great TV shows I might see. The idea of the game has also helped me articulate the problems in society that I've been bitching about for the past few years. Maybe now that I'm more aware of "the game" I'll get better at it. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing...maybe that's the point.

Blue Velvet is hard to ignore. I'm much less judgmental of seemingly "stupid" movies now. While I still think that a huge portion of "cult-classics" are only popular because people want others to think they are unique, I've come to appreciate the fact that "weird" isn't always "trying too hard."

I'm not sure what I'll be doing, but I do know that I won't forget this class. Despite the hour, I've enjoyed every class we've had, and I'm glad I got to meet you all. The game is over for this year..but for most of us it will start back up in August. Happy playing!

No comments:

Post a Comment