Sunday, May 3, 2009

residual thoughts on Dylan and Lolita

Also, I was pretty disappointed that Just Like A Woman is on Blonde on Blonde and not Highway 61 Revisited.  It's a pretty great song, and it has some relevance to Lolita, though I think it might have been about Edie Sedgwick.  I know it's not on the 'reading' but I feel like I should post it anyway...?

Ev'rybody knows that baby's got new clothes
But lately I see her ribbons and her bows have fallen from her curls
She takes just like a woman, yes she does
She makes love just like a woman
And she aches just like a woman
But she breaks just like a little girl

I just can't fit
Yes, I believe it's time for us to quit
When we meet as friends, introduced as friends
Please don't let on that you knew me when I was hungry and it was your world
Ah, you fake just like a woman, yes you do
You make love just like a woman, yes you do
Then you ache just like a woman
But you break just like a little girl

What HH failed to remember (or maybe he remembered entirely too well) is that Lolita breaks just like a little girl, and is, in fact, a little girl - even if she fakes and takes and makes love just like a woman.  Once she actually is a woman, he "just can't fit" and it's over.  

(just as an aside, Leonard Cohen seems to be a fan of Dylan's ribbons and bows, which is what reminded me of this song in the first place - Krzys quoted from on Twitter last wee: "Everybody knows the deal is rotten/ Old Black Joe's still pickin cotton for your ribbons and bows/ Everybody knows." But, yeah, definite influence/reference here - Cohen's album (which is great and dark and fantastic) came out in 1967 while Dylan's Blonde on Blonde was released in '66.)

No comments:

Post a Comment